- Police mobile drug tests miss the most dangerous drugs, ABC News, May 24, 2017.
- Betrayed by the doctors who turned us into DRUG ADDICTS (correction: DRUG DEPENDENTS): How a nation of patients became hooked on prescription pills
- Chris Cornell's Wife Issues Statement, Blames Anxiety Medicine for Suicide, Rolling Stone, May 19, 2017.
- Was Chris Cornell taking ‘the world’s deadliest’ prescription medication? The Mercury News, May 19, 2017.
- Laws tackle booming trade in sedatives and sleeping tablets, Irish Examiner, May 5, 2017. (Controlling illicit market, but not so much the far-reaching, problematic legal market)
- Elderly people recently prescribed sleeping pills are at DOUBLE the risk of a broken hip, study finds, Daily Mail, April 26, 2017.
- 'A terrifying ordeal' Man jailed after he stripped naked and stabbed flatmate three times during psychotic episode while coming off ‘benzos’, The Irish Sun, April 6, 2017.
- Exposed: National disgrace as a quarter of a million patients are turned into DRUG ADDICTS by their doctors, Daily Mail, March 27, 2017.
- Experts at Hamden forum on drug abuse say opioids not the only prescribed drug problem, Post Chronicle, March 28, 2017.
- How to reduce dependency on drugs like Valium with alternative therapies, The Conversation, March 22, 2017.
- Thousands prescribed too much medicine, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, March 15, 2017.
- The growing problem of co-treatment with opioids and benzodiazepines, BMJ, March 14, 2017.
- DEAR PHARMACIST: Benzodiazepine dangers and lies, Herald & Review, March 14, 2017.
- Antidepressants and benzodiazepines are linked to hip fracture in elderly people, finds study, BMJ, March 9, 2017.
- One Nation, Under Sedation: Medicare Paid for Nearly 40 Million Tranquilizer Prescriptions in 2013, Huntington News, February 27, 2017.
- Seniors Are Drowning in A Flood of Prescription Pills, Daily Caller, February 14, 2017.
- Use of multiple brain-affecting drugs is rising among seniors, despite risks, U-M research finds, University of Michigan, February 13, 2017.
- Benzodiazepines Increase Stroke Risk in Alzheimer's, Psychiatry Advisor, February 9, 2017.
- Ticking time bomb of prescription drug abuse – Limerick counsellor, Limerick Leader, February 3, 2017.
- Medication Nation: 9 Horrifying Revelations from Dr Eva Orsmond's documentary, The Independent - Ireland, January 31, 2017.
- Motorists to be screened for prescription drugs in new roadside tests, Dublin Live, January 27, 2017.
2016 World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day News
- July 11: Inaugural World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day, Canadian Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, July 11, 2016.
- World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day – say NO to Benzodiazepines for anxiety! Every Woman Over 29, July 11, 2016.
- ‘It is a world public health scandal’ World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day seeks to..., Oldham Chronicle, July 7, 2016.
- Benzos: A Dance With the Devil / World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day, Kelly Brogan, MD, ABIHM, Mad in America, July 1, 2016.
- Early day motion 264 - WORLD BENZODIAZEPINE AWARENESS DAY, UK Parliament, June 29, 2016.
- New Video from World Benzo Awareness Day Event in Japan, Mad in America, June 29, 2016.
- Video: World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day, Council for Evidence Based Psychiatry, June 11, 2016.
- New Video For World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day, Mad in America, June 7, 2016.
- EXCLUSIVE: World Benzo Awareness Day, First Step To End Global Dependency Woes, Morning News USA, April 30, 2016.
- World Benzo Awareness Day Launch, Mad In America, April 25, 2016.
- World Benzo Day aims to highlight the plight of all patients worldwide who have become prescribed drug dependents through no fault of their own, Oldham Chronicle, January 25, 2016.
Also see US State recognition for World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day.
- Once Upon a Time in Withdrawal, Mad in America, December 29, 2016.
- The Prescription that Changed My Life, Mad in America, December 13, 2016.
- PA Warns Doctors About Dangers Of Prescribing Klonopin, Xanax And More, WSKG News, December 9, 2016.
- Evidence repository, The Academy of Medical Sciences, 2016.
- Why are 250,000 lives still being ruined by mother's little helpers? Doctors finally admit too many patients are hooked on tranquilisers, Mail Online, November 8, 2016.
- Patton Oswalt suggests Xanax overdose caused wife’s sudden death, The Washington Times, October 27, 2016.
- APPG for Prescribed Drug Dependence joins BMA call for a national helpline, All Party Parliamentary Group for Prescribed Drug Dependence, October 24, 2016.
- BMA calls for national prescription drug helpline, British Medical Association, October 24, 2016.
- Doctors' leaders call for prescription drug helpline, BBC, October 23, 2016.
- The Benzodiazepine Medical Disaster, Vimeo, October 21, 2016.
- This documentary tells the hidden story of how benzodiazepines can both main and kill… Renowned expert Professor Heather Ashton compares the tragedy affecting many people worldwide to the Thalidomide scandal.
- The 'extreme' side-effects of antidepressants, BBC, October 19, 2016.
- Bad side-effects of drugs such as Valium a ‘medical disaster’ THE IRISH TIMES, October 10, 2016.
- Tranquillisers drove me to the brink of suicide, The Sunday Times, October 9, 2016.
- US drug labels to warn of risks of combining opioids and benzodiazepines, BMJ, September 2, 2016.
- The FDA’s Latest Black Box Warning: Don’t Mix Opioids, Benzos, Mad in America, September 1, 2016.
- FDA: Stronger Warnings Needed for Combining Benzodiazepines and Opioids, Journal Watch, September 1, 2016.
- New labels warn against mixing opioids, benzodiazepines, CNN, August 31, 2016.
- FDA requires new warnings on danger of combining opioids, benzodiazepines, Washington Post, August 31, 2016.
- FDA Elevates Warning for Psychomotor Impairment With Ambien, Neurology Advisor, August 16, 2016.
- Psychiatrist paid patient €50,000 after complaint threat, Irish Times, August 16, 2016.
- Antidepressants can save lives but they made me want to kill. Now I wonder if some murderers may have suffered the same side-effects as me, Independent, August 15, 2016.
- A new study has found doctors may be overprescribing sleeping tablets, also known as benzodiazepines..., DPS News, August 5, 2016.
- Wollongong study uncovers reasons for overprescribing of sleeping pills in the elderly, ABC News, August 1, 016.
- A three-year-old Arkansas girl died while her mother, who was using prescription tranquilizers, was napping, The Washington Post, July 29, 2016.
- The gunman who killed three police officers and wounded three others in Louisiana’s capital reportedly suffered from PTSD and was prescribed lorazepam (Ativan), diazepam (Valium) and eszopiclone (Lunesta), according to the report, Yahoo News, July 21, 2016.
- Falling Through the Cracks, Mad in America, July 17, 2016.
- Date Rape Drug: What is Benzodiazepine? Australian Network News, July 15, 2016.
- Liverpool addiction doc sanctioned for improper prescribing, SYRACUSE, N.Y. July 14, 2016.
- Weekly Dose: Valium, the ‘safer choice’ that led to dependence and addiction, The Conversation, July 13, 2016.
- Yes, Benzos Are Bad For You, Huffington Post, Prof. Allen Frances (Chairman of the DSM-IV task force) July 1, 2016.
- Xanax remains the world’s most popular pill, and U.S. prescriptions for it and other benzos grow by 12 percent every year, Huffington Post, June 25, 2016.
- Focus on opioids may obscure other drug issues, Metro West Daily News, May 29, 2016.
- Westminster event on link between rising prescribing and disability, The All-Party Parliamentary Group for Prescribed Drug Dependence, May 27, 2016.
- Pneumonia: increased infection and mortality with benzodiazepines, Univadis, May 26, 2016.
- Older women more likely to be prescribed inappropriate drugs: study, The Globe and Mail, May 23, 2016.
- Use of "Tranquilizer" Medications Associated With Highest Risk of Death and Increased Risk of HCV Infection in Downtown Eastside, British Columbia Centre for Excellence In HIV/AIDS, May 17, 2016.
- Psychiatric drugs killing more users than heroin, cocaine, say health experts, Vancouver Sun, May 17, 2016.
- High antidepressant use could lead to UK public health disaster, New Scientist, May 12, 2016.
- In Prince's Age Group, Risk Of Opioid Overdose Climbs, Capital Public Radio, May 6, 2016. (Benzos are not necessarily ‘wonderful medications’ as they too pose many significant risk factors)
- Senior women more likely overprescribed drugs than men: UBC study, Vancouver Sun, May 5, 2016.
- Prince Now Appears Victim of Opioid ‘Epidemic’, Next Avenue, May 4, 2016.
- Local resident appears on The Dr. Oz Show (“This epidemic hasn’t received the attention it deserves”), Brighton Pittsford Post, April 29, 2016.
- Chyna may have died of accidental prescription overdose, The Chronicle, April 28, 2016.
- Byker dad Dean Stoddart died after taking lethal cocktail of booze and drugs, The Chronicle, April 28, 2016.
- Chyna's Manager: Her Death Is Likely an Accidental Overdose, US Magazine, April 28, 2016.
- Former wrestling champion Chyna died from an accidental overdose of Valium and Ambien, manager says, New York Daily News, April 27, 2016.
- Dr. Drew Pinsky: Prince’s death might have been 'accidental overdose’ (Pinsky said the singer's respiratory distress was likely due to a “combination of oral opiates and Benzodiazepines”), New York Daily News, April 25, 2016.
- Prince Cause of Death: Dr. Drew Explains How Singer Could Have Died from ‘Accidental Overdose’ (Dr. Drew explained that Prince’s sudden respiratory distress could have been caused by a “combination of opiates and Benzodiazepines,”), International Business Times, April 24, 2016.
- 7 Heartbreaking Drug Overdose Deaths: Prince, Chyna & Other Stars Who Died From Drugs, Counsel & Heal News, April 24, 2016.
- Prince’s Death Possibly an ‘Accidental Overdose,’ Dr. Drew Says (Prince’s respiratory distress, likely the result of a “combination of oral opiates and Benzodiazepines,” is “extraordinarily dangerous,” but added that doctors prescribe the combination of drugs “all the time.”), US Magazine, April 23, 2016.
- The secret addiction to prescription drug Valium that killed my husband at 32, Mirror, April 7, 2016.
- Pharmaceutical drugs driving rise in Victorian overdose deaths, The Guardian, April 5, 2016.
- Fiola joins lawmakers, patients to warn overuse of hypnotics could be next drug crises, April 5, 2016.
- Over-prescribing psychoactive medications to our seniors is a serious problem and a substantive public health concern, Kings Country News, April 5, 2016.
- State lawmakers consider oversight on anxiety and sleeping medications, WWLP News, April 4, 2016.
- The Accidental Deadly Drug Prescription, The Wall Street Journal, March 30, 2016.
- 5 Charts That Show How Bad America’s Drug Problem Is, Time Magazine, March 30, 2016.
- Neurologist’s son killed by legal highs to cure shyness, The Times UK, March 27, 2016.
- Call To Action: Massachusetts Bill H4062 for Informed Benzodiazepine Use is Official, Beyond Meds, March 19, 2016.
- New study looks at impact of tranquilizers on increase in HIV, British Columbia Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS, March 14, 2016.
- Seniors are given so many drugs, it’s madness, The Globe and Mail, March 8, 2016.
- British Medical Association commits to various actions to tackle prescribed drug dependence, CEP, March 7, 2016.
- Viscountess Hinchingbrooke Julie Montagu talks about her husband Luke’s addiction to prescription drugs (“The first night Luke checked in, staff at the clinic took his clonazepam away...”), Daily Mail, March 6, 2016.
- Man (with prescribed benzo history) dies after using designer drugs (benzos) sold online, NBC 10 WJAR, March 5, 2016.
- Doctors prescribe too many sleeping pills to elderly, UN report says, Daily Sabah, March 2, 2016.
- Benzodiazepine Overdose Cases On The Rise, Morning News USA, March 1, 2016.
- Health Secretary warns of high risk in taking both opioids and benzos, WITF, February 26, 2016.
- Benzodiazepine prescriptions, overdose deaths on the rise in U.S., Reuters, February 26, 2016.
- Benzodiazepine Prescriptions, Overdose Deaths Rising, Neurology Advisor, February 24, 2016.
- Opioids: R.I. health director sounds alert about painkiller/tranquilizer combination, Providence Journal, February 24, 2016.
- EXCLUSIVE: How Big Pharma greed is killing tens of thousands around the world: Patients are over-medicated and often given profitable drugs with ‘little proven benefits,’ leading doctors warn (Queen's former doctor, Sir Richard Thompson, has backed new campaign), Daily Mail, February 23, 2016.
- Overdoses on anti-anxiety meds such Valium and Xanax are on the rise, The Washington Post, February 22, 2016.
- Health officials push FDA to add ‘black box’ warnings about using opioids, benzodiazepines together, The Washington Post, February 22, 2016.
- Doctors petition FDA for ‘black box’ warning on combining painkillers, tranquilizers, USA Today, February 22, 2016.
- FDA Petition to place a black box warning on pharmaceuticals in the opioid and benzodiazepine classes warning patients of the potential serious risks, Department of Health, State of Rhode Island, February 22, 2016.
- State Health Officials Petition FDA for New Warnings on Opioids, Benzodiazepines, Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society (RAPS), February 22, 2016.
- FDA should warn of risks of opioid, benzo combo, say public health experts, Stat News, February 22, 2016.
- Anti-anxiety drugs eyed over role in prescription drug overdoses, Healthcare Dive, February 22, 2016.
- Benzodiazepine overdose deaths soared in recent years, study finds, CNN, February 18, 2016.
- Benzos killed more Mainers than heroin in 2014, ABC News, February 18, 2016.
- Anxiety Drug Overdoses Have Quadrupled Over Last Two Decades, Study Finds, NBC News, February 18, 2016.
- Benzodiazepine overdose deaths soar, CBS, February 18, 2016.
- Benzodiazepine Overdose Deaths Have Surged In Recent Years, Add To America’s Drug Epidemic, Medical Daily, February 18, 2016.
- Bombshell Study Exposes Frightening Facts About Anti-Depressant Drugs & Pharmaceutical Companies, Collective Evolution, February 12, 2016.
- This Present Madness, Rxisk, February 1, 2016.
- Antidepressants can raise the risk of suicide, biggest ever review finds, The Telegraph, January 27, 2016.
- 高齢者の２割にベンゾ処方 １１８万人調査で判明、読売新聞、2016年1月26日。
- World Benzo Day aims to highlight the plight of all patients worldwide who have become prescribed drug dependent addicts through no fault of their own, Oldham Chronicle, January 25, 2016.
- Drug cocktail allegedly in man's system when he hit, killed teen, The Journal Times, January 19, 2016.
- Benzodiazepines are the most common prescription drug involved in Rhode Island overdose deaths, Providence Journal, January 19, 2016.
- Pharmaceutical Rape is not a Metaphor, Dr. David Healy, January 18, 2016.
- Drug deaths hit record levels – concern over benzodiazepines, BBC Radio, December 20, 2015.
- Hidden world of tranquilliser addicts, BBC News World Edition.
- Increasing Benzodiazepine Prescriptions and Overdose Mortality in the United States, 1996–2013, American Public Health Association, December 17, 2015.
- Still Mistreating the Elderly with Psychiatric Drugs: Benzodiazepines, Mad in America, October 28, 2015.
- 抗不安薬、依存に注意を 添付文書改訂を要望、産経ニュース、2015年10月28日。
- Mum speaks about 22 year battle to break addiction to tranquillisers, ITV News, October 22, 2015.
- BMA: Prescribed drugs associated with dependence and withdrawal – building a consensus for action, British Medical Association, October, 2015.
- Deaths from Prescription Opioid Overdose (Drug overdose was the leading cause of injury death in 2013), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, October 16, 2015.
- Earl of Sandwich speaks on prescribed drug harms in the House of Lords, Council for Evidence Based Psychiatry, October 6, 2015.
- Anti-depressant paroxetine linked to youth suicide and no more effective than a placebo, researchers find, ABC News, September17, 2015.
- BMJ Publishes Study Revealing How Flawed Drug Research Fails a Trusting Public, September 16, 2015.
- Prescription pills are Britain’s third biggest killer: Side-effects of drugs taken for insomnia and anxiety kill thousands, Daily Mail, September 15, 2015.
- Benzodiazepines do patients more harm than good, Every Woman, September 15, 2015.
- The Daily Nightmare of Benzo Withdrawal, Huffington Post, July 24, 2015.
- Rapid withdrawal and misprescribing of a benzodiazepine leads to £1.35m settlement for Luke Montagu, CEP co-founder, CEP, 18 July 2015.
- CEP appointed as Secretariat for All Party Parliamentary Group for Prescribed Drug Dependence, CEP, July 7, 2015.
- Doctors are getting patients ‘hooked on happy pills’, Daily Mail, June 23, 2015.
- Sleeping pills TREBLE the risk of lung cancer: Common drugs including Xanax and Valium trigger ‘worrying’ rates of disease, Daily Mail, June 18, 2015.
- Poor Kid going through benzo withdrawal at 7 years old. Iatrogenic dependency since 16 MONTHS old, Facebook, June 13, 2015.
- Launch of APPG for Prescribed Drug Dependence, APPG, June 6, 2015.
- SPECIAL REPORT: Why are children being prescribed more psychiatric and serious medications than ever?, Fox News, 15 May, 2015.
- Dependent on painkillers, sleeping tablets and antidepressants, Daily Mail, April 13, 2015.
- Latest prescription data shows consumption of psychiatric drugs continues to soar, CEP, April 10, 2015.
- 薬５０種「高齢者には中止考えて」 学会、医療者向け、朝日新聞、2015年4月4日。
- Germanwings crash pilot Andreas Lubitz ‘lied to doctors about flying and was prescribed powerful drugs’, Daily Telegraph, April 2, 2015.
- Winging It: Antidepressants and Plane Crashes, Dr. David Healy, March 30, 2015.
- Pilots and Antidepressants, RxISK, March 30, 2015.
- Germanwings Co-pilot Who Purposefully Crashed Plane Had Spent 18 Months in Psychiatric Treatment, CCHR, March 27, 2015.
- Germanwings jetliner catastrophe: The first antidepressant drug-induced mass murder of the skies?, Natural News, March 26, 2015.
- Prescription drug deaths in Victoria eclipse road fatalities, The Age, March 21, 2015.
- An Irish Epidemic: Suicide and Homicide on Antidepressants, RxISK, March 17, 2015.
- Benzodiazepine Use and Risk of Alzheimer's Disease, Frank J. Domino, MD, March 11, 2015.
- Why Are So Many Toddlers Taking Psychiatric Drugs?, The Wall Street Journal, February 19, 2015.
- It's remarkable that nobody raises an eyebrow when we kill so many of our own citizens with drugs..., The Sydney Morning Herald, February 7, 2015.
- Unintended consequences: Why painkiller addicts turn to heroin, CNN, January 3, 2015.
- No political will to tackle benzos, Irish Examiner, December 27, 2014.
- Legal drugs cause 75% of poisoning deaths, Irish Examiner, December 16, 2014.
- Drug pollution risk ‘a global responsibility’, ABC News, December 18, 2014.
- Do sleeping pills give you Alzheimer's? As a major new study suggests a link, we examine the worrying evidence, Daily Mail, September 15, 2014.
- Farewell to Jim Dobbin – a great MP and tireless campaigner against addiction, The Conservative Woman, September 10, 2014.
- Anxiety and sleeping pills 'linked to dementia', BBC, September 10, 2014.
- Sleeping pills taken by millions linked to Alzheimer's, Daily Telegraph, September 10, 2014.
- When withdrawal is the hardest part, The Boston Globe, September 8, 2014.
- The Suicide of Robin Williams, Global Research, August 25, 2014.
- Experts warn of spike in number of sudden or accidental deaths involving Xanax, ABC News, June 25, 2014.
- Benzodiazepines treat anxiety, cause long-term problems, The Bulletin, June 1, 2014.
- Xanax-related ER visits double in 6 years, CNN, May 22, 2014.
- The Hidden Dangers of Benzodiazepines, Chris Lane PhD, Psychology Today, May 22, 2014.
- Adverse emotional and interpersonal effects reported by 1829 New Zealanders while taking antidepressants, Psychiatry Research, April 30, 2014.
- Benzodiazepine drugs accounted for more deaths than ALL the so-called hard drugs put together, Mad in America / Barry Haslam, April 26, 2014.
- The Truth About Prescription Pills, Vogue Magazine, April 24, 2014.
- Medicines killing hundreds, The Age, April 9, 2014.
- Killer Whales on Valium: Common Practice?, Discovery News, April 4, 2014.
- SCOOP: A review by Prof. C.H. Ashton of the paper titled "Benzodiazepines: Risks and benefits. A reconsideration" by Baldwin, Aitchison, Bateson, Curran, Davies, Leonard, Nutt, Stephens and Wilson, benzo.org.uk, November 2013.
- Hamilton woman speaks out about risk of sedative, CBC News, July 29, 2013.
- Valium's 50th birthday: little to celebrate, The Spectator, May 5, 2013.
- City doctors discourage benzo use, Londonderry Sentinel, April 20, 2013.
- Middle-aged people addicted to tranquillisers because GPs over-prescribe them, health minister says, Daily Telegraph, April, 3, 2013.
- Lazy GPs keep on doling out powerful sleeping pills to the elderly, Daily Mail, April 3, 2013.
- Diazepam Is Killing Scotland's Drug-Using Poor, VICE Media, March 19, 2013.
- More addictive than heroin. Why, 50 years after its launch, is Valium still given to millions? Daily Mail, March 7, 2012.
- North East warned of dangers of tranquillisers, The Scotsman, February 22, 2013.
- Victims of benzodiazepine addiction significantly outnumber those hooked on illegal drugs, The Times UK, October 1, 2012.
- Said to be more addictive than cocaine, Xanax is the anti-anxiety drug in the medicine cabinet of millions of Australian homes, 7 News, July 15, 2012.
- More women 'addicted to prescription tranquillisers than illegal drugs', Metro, June 26, 2012.
- A CORONER has called for restrictions on sleeping and anxiety pill prescriptions after it was revealed they account for more deaths than illicit drugs, Herald Sun, May 18, 2012.
- Drug victim who lost case vows to fight on, NZ Herald, April 15, 2012.
- New Zealander loses legal fight over crippling med addiction, The Japan Times, March 13, 2012.
- ニュージーランド人敗訴 医療によってもたらされた深刻な薬物依存をめぐる争い、ジャパン・タイムズ 2012年3月13日。
- Sleeping pills 'linked to increased death risk', BBC News, February 28, 2012 (Interviews).
- More Japanese children being prescribed psychotropic drugs, The Japan Times, January 14, 2012.
- The Earl of Sandwich: It's time we realised these drugs are a threat to society, The Independent, December 29, 2011.
- Amy Winehouse 'had taken sedative' Express, September 11, 2011.
- Tranquilliser addicts need help, BBC NW Tonight (Video Clip), August 15, 2011.
- Life addicted to prescription drugs, BBC, July 27, 2011.
- Prescribed Addiction: John Waite investigates the “scandal” that has left up to 1.5 million people addicted to drugs prescribed to them by their GPs, BBC Radio, July 27, 2011.
- America’s Most Dangerous Pill? Klonopin, CCHR, June 1, 2011.
- Stevie Nicks: ‘Medication ruined my life’, Daily Express, May 5, 2011.
- 30% of doctors give psychotropics to tots, The Japan Times, March 11, 2011.
- Brain Damage from Benzodiazepines: The Troubling Facts, Risks, and History of Minor Tranquilizers, Psychology Today, November 18, 2010.
- Drugs linked to brain damage 30 years ago, The Independent, November 7, 2010.
- Benzodiazepines Debate, Earl of Sandwich, BBC News, October 6, 2010.
- Bury's Kevin Dewhurst talks of 'zombie' tranquilliser effects, BBC News Manchester, August 15, 2010.
- 'Sedation link' to birth defects, BBC News, April 7, 2009.
More Global Benzo News
For more comprehensive global news on benzodiazepines, please visit the benzo.org.uk media archive
Dec 2015 - July 2016: Established World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day.
April 2015: Took part in a meeting at Medwatcher Japan in preparation for a written request to the Japanese government; demanding stricter controls for prescription benzodiazepines. The request was submitted by Medwatcher Japan on 28th October 2015.
October 2014: Gave a presentation to highlight the dangers of “miss-prescribing” benzodiazepines and similar drugs at the International Society of Addiction Medicine World Congress at the Paciﬁco Yokohama Conference Center in Yokohama, Japan.
March 2014: Launched this website (Benzo Case) in the hope that others are able to benefit from the sharing of my experiences and assorted information.
March 2013: Coordinated an enquiry between a Japanese doctor and Prof. Ashton to help clarify ways to treat patients who had been stupified by being prescribed excessive doses of benzodiazepines.
January 2013: Arranged permission to have The Ashton Manual in Japanese printed as a hard copy to help improve access for elderly people.
August 2012: Coordinated an interview between Prof. Ashton and the Yomiuri Newspaper for a newspaper article to help raise awareness regarding some of the problems with benzodiazepines in Japan.
Feb 2003 ~ Oct 2011: Fought a torrid battle (in Japanese) for nearly 10 years (including preparation time) through to the Supreme Court of Japan to help get recognition for the pain and suffering caused by prescription benzodiazepines, both in my own case and throughout society in general. My lawyer and I fought this case in earnest to try and set a precedent with a view to lobbying for safer benzodiazepine prescription guidelines in Japan, and to help raise greater awareness in general (See Case Section).
Some news articles above are asking why after so long (55 years) are benzodiazepines still causing problems, such as the increased death rate.
However the answer is clear. It’s because world governments have continually allowed the drug companies, with their profit making agendas, to dominate the health industry, without putting proper regulations in place. Therefore, ultimate responsibility for this human tragedy lies squarely on the shoulders of the politicians (See: Who’s Responsible).
In much of the media many reporters tend to use the unfortunate words “abuse”, “misuse”, “addicts” etc. when referring to patients or individuals.
Without being put into proper context, these types of words are stigmatizing many innocent people (otherwise normal everyday people) who were simply following their doctor’s orders (See Let's Stop the Stigmatization).
The word “disorder” is also misleading, and is overly used to justify the prescribing of these dangerous drugs, when in fact, in most cases, some anxiety and stress is a completely ‘normal’ reaction to certain life situations.
On This Page20172016 W-BAD News2016201520142013201220112010More Global Benzo NewsMy ActivitiesAbout news
About this Site
This website has been constructed by me personally for the purpose of raising awareness about doctor induced benzodiazepine drug dependency and litigation problems.
The purpose of this site does not include any form of retribution. Also, for privacy reasons the defendants’ names along with certain other names have been omitted from all public documentation contained herein.
There are no other persons / parties involved and it in no way represents any organization or activist type movements.
It is not intended as medical or legal advice – please see Disclaimer.
As someone who has experienced both doctor induced benzo dependency and the effects of the 3-11 disaster, I immediately became concerned about the overprescribing of prescription drugs to the many thousands of people in the disaster areas.
As it happened, I was writing my Supreme Court appeal in the midst of the disaster, so I took this opportunity to try and raise the alarm by including the following passage in my closing comments…
The Japan Times
Most surprising of all, the high court relied on the packaging produced by the pharmaceutical company to determine the dosage at which benzodiazepines could be deemed addictive.
“I don't feel like I lost, I feel like I won and the court failed,” he says. “It feels like they were protecting the doctors and failed to protect society.” "What I want to do is use my experience and the material generated through my case to provide a resource to others who are dependent or may become dependent."